Monday, March 7, 2016

Wrestling in Japan






I've said before that I lost interest in WWE style wrestling many years ago.  It revolves too much around drama and theatrics outside the ring, focusing more on the "Entertainment" in WWE and less on the "Wrestling".  But not all pro wrestling is like that.  Not long ago the Ringside at Skull Island blog had a link to a match from Japan which reminded me why I enjoy watching Japanese style pro wrestling.  It's a  main event bout from Dramatic Dream Team Wrestling featuring Konosuke Takeshita and Kota Umeda, both 20 year old wrestlers.  I like it because there's so much "real" about the match.  Take the wrestlers, for example.  Both are athletic young dudes, but physically not the type you would see with WWE superstars, especially when featured in a "main event" bout.  They actually look like real athletes.  And while there's some drama and theatrics, mostly for its comic effect, this match is all about the wrestling.  Both wrestlers execute moves and endure punishment so convincingly that it looks like a real wrestling match.  Hell, for all I know, most of it really is real competition.  And that's why it's such an fun match to watch.  Check out Joe's Ringside blog for a link to the match and for his own commentary which is much more insightful that anything I could ever say.

Of course, to be true to my blog, I have to mention that Konosuke Takeshita delivers some excellent bodyslams during the match (see above), and looking the alpha wrestler in the process by grabbing a handful of Umeda's ass.  And pardon me for playing spoiler here by showing you how Konosuke wins the match, executing a sick suplex and wrestler's bridge that leaves Umeda dazed and pinned in defeat.  You've got a new fan in me, Konosuke!






No comments:

Post a Comment