Friday, November 15, 2013

Beast of the East







Most guys who wrestled in high school are familiar with the Beast of the East tournament, which takes place in Delaware every December.  When I was in high school, it was the most prestigious scholastic wrestling tournament in the country.  It's a "beast" of a tournament because it regularly draws over 100 teams.  And the dude who is talented enough to actually win his weight class out of such a large competition pool truly can claim that he is a "beast" among his fellow wrestlers. Unfortunately for me, my school never participated in the tournament because it mostly draws from teams along the East Coast.  But even now, after high school, I like to check up on the tournament results because the boys who win today are the men who represent the USA in wrestling tomorrow.  It's a good place to see the up and coming talent in amateur wrestling.  So, you're probably wondering what does this have to do with my post today?  I came across these photos of Far East wrestler Zeus (real name Kenshou Obayashi?) who competes in Japan.  He's six feet tall, weighs in at 240 pounds, and he loves to press dudes overhead.  What's not to like about that?  He's the true Beast of the East.  I'd like to throw him into a tournament with over 1000 wrestlers and see what havoc he can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment