Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ryan Nemeth




There's a perception out there that wrestlers are just dumb jocks. I remember back in high school someone sneering "You're a wrestler. What are you doing in AP history?" The student in me wanted to ace the class to show him up. The wrestler in me wanted to pick him up and bodyslam him for his insolence (which would have been much more fun). Now, I know there are wrestlers who are meatheads, but I've also known other meatheads who weren't wrestlers or even jocks, my point being that wrestling and smarts aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, wrestling is like a chess match, and you've got to be able to think several moves ahead, and all in a fraction of a second, too. It helps to have some brains when you go out onto a wrestling mat. This rambling introduction brings me to the main subject of my post - Ryan Nemeth. He formerly wrestled at Ohio Valley Wrestling, and now he is at Florida Championship Wrestling under the name Briley Pierce. Nemeth definitely is no dumb jock. He's got a masters degree in English. During college he was involved in theater where he wrote, directed, and acted in a variety of productions (probably comes in handy in the theater that is pro wrestling). He wrote humor pieces for his college newspaper, and he's even published a novel. Nemeth shows that brains and wrestling can go hand in hand. With that said, I like that he wears a singlet in the wrestling ring (even if he doesn't quite display it in regulation fashion). Despite his other accomplishments, he wants you to make no mistake that he's a wrestler.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Informative. I didn't know Nemeth was a novelist. Have you read the book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't seen it yet, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has.

    ReplyDelete